Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Grandparent Grievances.

Grandparents are frustrating, dealing with them is exhausting. Especially in the case of in laws. My mother in law drives me crazy sometimes. It seems like everytime she comes over she has something new to complain about whether it be money or what other people are doing with their lives. Because she's my mother in law I have to try to be nice to her to keep the peace and to keep my husband happy. The problem with dealing with grandparents is that I feel like because they have raised children before they think they know everything. And it's difficult for them to sit back and allow me and my husband or any parents to learn and make their own mistakes of parents and raise their children the way they want. Example the other day my mother in law came over and she was kind of moody and she started talking to me about how she had seen a member of our family posting a picture on facebook of his little girl with the safety ear plugs on shooting a gun little girl is about three . Well she was complaining about it and how she didn't feel it was right and I informed her that my son shot a gun he's also 3 . Now I'm not making this segment of the post an issue about guns and gun control but I feel that if you are a responsible adult and you wish to teach your children from a young age how to properly handle and the reality as well as the respect for gun I don't have a problem with that . And neither should anyone else . Everyone has different ways of raising children everyone has different beliefs and values and why is that they were brought up and in my opinion as long as you're not doing anything harmful or abusive then it shouldn't be anyone's right to judge. The point of this is just to say that everyone has opinions but sometimes its better to just keep your opinions to yourself because it's not your job to raise my children you already raised yours. There's also the matter of one grandparent do those annoying things that you feel should be common sense not to do but they do them anyway. I understand that all grandparents or most grandparents will spoil their grandkids from time to time. But if you're going to come and complain to me about money issues don't go out and buy my kid a Power Ranger a few weeks before Christmas. Same time grandparents can be a blessing. I know that my little one love to spend time with his Grammy and his Nana and his  bampie. So in that regard it's nice because when mommy really needs a timeout or wants to spend time with Daddy there are multiple people in my sons life who also love spending time with him that he can go and visit, so it's nice to have those little breaks every now and then. The only downside is dealing with the cranky tired mess that comes home to me in the form of my 3 year old. Another thing I love about grandparents especially for holidays and birthdays is that my husband and I can breathe a sigh of relief because we know that our little one will never go without. Times are tough in this economy sometime and we don't always have the money to buy tons of presents and gifts for those special occasions. So knowing that he has grandparents I'll pick up  our slack a little bit is really reassuring. So as much as they drive me crazy and make me wonder whether or not dealing with these crazy people is all worth it I am thankful to have them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment